Corporate Investment - MENA
We partner with and create value in leading businesses in the Gulf and Turkey as well as the wider MENA region. Our inaugural $1 billion Gulf Opportunity Fund I was launched in 2008 in partnership with the Gulf's foremost government agencies, sovereign wealth funds, pension funds and families.
The regional macroeconomic environment continues to prove its resilience against a more challenging global economic backdrop. We seek to capitalize on the increasing commercialization of the region which is driven by high oil revenues, substantial government expenditures, rapid demographic transition and maturing regulatory frameworks.
By working with our partners in placement and relationship management, we leverage Investcorp's extensive network in, and knowledge of, the region to source proprietary deals.
What we look for
We focus on conducting minority or majority investments in mid-sized companies, especially family-owned businesses, that are seeking growth capital or realize the broader benefits of partnering with a financial sponsor. In particular, we focus on companies with:
- fast growth and/or comparative advantage in the region;
- stable or predictable industry trends;
- sound competitive dynamics; and
- substantial barriers to entry.
We specifically seek targets in energy-intensive industries, oil field services, consumer goods, logistics, transportation, healthcare and other defensive industries with proven business models and growth prospects underpinned by regional demographic and economic growth.
How we build value
We recognize that international best-practice investment strategies have to be tailored to businesses in the region, especially family-owned businesses, to take account of their unique dynamics. In doing so, we:
- adopt a role akin to an incubator by offering strategic and financial advice in a consultative manner, while recognizing that the entrepreneur remains at the forefront of decision-making;
- place greater emphasis on strategic repositioning, rather than on assuming more debt and its associated risks; and
- enhance corporate governance by ensuring alignment of interests and mutual trust.
Furthermore, our advisory directors are available to work in partnership with management to support our portfolio companies when needed.