Investcorp, a firm with over 30 years of experience interacting with investors in the GCC and MENA, is in a unique position to be the partner of choice for leading businesses in the Gulf and the wider region. Through our inaugural $1 billion Gulf Opportunity Fund I, which was launched in 2008 in partnership with the Gulf's foremost government agencies, sovereign wealth funds, pension funds and families, we have invested in 11 such businesses to-date.
Our investments seek to capitalize on the increasing commercialization of the region, which is driven by high oil revenues, substantial government expenditure, rapid demographic transition and maturing regulatory frameworks.
By working with our partners in placement and relationship management, we leverage Investcorp's extensive network in, and knowledge of, the region in order to source proprietary deals.
We focus on minority or majority investments in mid-sized companies, especially family-owned businesses, which are seeking growth and realize the broader benefits of partnering with a financial sponsor. In particular, we focus on companies with:
- Fast growth and/or comparative advantage in the region
- Stable or predictable industry trends
- Sound competitive dynamics
- Substantial barriers to entry
We specifically seek targets in energy-intensive industries, oil-field services, consumer goods, logistics, transportation, healthcare and other defensive industries with proven business models and growth prospects underpinned by regional demographic and economic growth.
We recognize that international best-practice investment strategies have to be tailored to businesses in the region, especially family-owned businesses, to take account of their unique dynamics. In doing so, we:
- Adopt a role akin to an incubator, by offering strategic and financial advice in a consultative manner while recognizing that the entrepreneur remains at the forefront of decision-making
- Place greater emphasis on strategic repositioning, rather than on assuming more debt and its associated risks
- Enhance corporate governance by ensuring alignment of interests and mutual trust
Furthermore, our external Advisory Directors are available to work in partnership with management to support our portfolio companies when needed.