Nemir Kirdar is the Founder, Executive Chairman & CEO of the global investment group, Investcorp, which operates out of New York, London and Bahrain.
Mr Kirdar began his banking career in New York in 1969. Following two years of credit training, he covered South East Asia and Japan for Allied Bank International. In 1974 he joined The Chase Manhattan Bank, New York, as Vice President. Between 1976 and 1981 he served in the Arabian Gulf overseeing and directing Chase's banking network in the region. He founded Investcorp in 1982.
Investcorp specializes in offering multi-product alternative investments on both sides of the Atlantic. These include direct investments in unquoted corporate entities, hedge funds, real estate, technology investments and Gulf growth capital. The firm's mission is to act as a bridge between surplus funds in the Gulf and non-traditional investment opportunities in the USA and Western Europe. Its 320 staff is drawn from 38 nationalities.
Mr Kirdar graduated in Economics from the University of the Pacific in California and holds an MBA from Fordham University in New York. He has also completed Harvard Business School's Senior Management Program. Mr Kirdar has been awarded an honorary Doctorate in Humane Letters from Georgetown University, Washington DC; an honorary Doctorate in Laws from the University of the Pacific, California; and an honorary Doctorate in Economics from Richmond, the American International University in London.
With his interests in business and geopolitics, Mr Kirdar has spoken at various international forums. He is also the author of numerous articles and two published books. The first, "Saving Iraq" (2009), reviews the country's history and maps a course for its future restoration. The second, "In Pursuit of Fulfilment", came out in 2012 and records his life journey.
- Honorary Fellow St. Antony's College, Oxford University, UK
- Member of the Board of Trustees, Brookings Institution, Washington DC
- Member of the Board of Trustees, Eisenhower Exchange Fellowship, Philadelphia, PA
- Member of the United Nations Investments Committee, United Nations Pension Fund, New York, NY
- Member of the Advisory Board, The Judge Business School, Cambridge University, UK
- Member of the Advisory Board, School of International & Public Affairs, Columbia University, New York, NY
- Founding member of the International Business Council, World Economic Forum, Geneva, Switzerland
- Member of the Chatham House Panel of Senior Advisers, London, UK
- Member of the International Council of the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, John F Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- Member of the Council for Arab & International Relations, Kuwait